Saturday, March 3, 2012

Reaching Out

I was very excited to be getting married! I started planning immediately. After all, I knew that we'd be having a big wedding. Two families, who were very different, would finally join as one. Mine a little crazy and his willing to put up with the craziness. It must be us Greeks...we have a way of sucking you in!
Planning was great. Dreaming of our future was even better. I knew I was gaining a great family...a mother-in-law who I actually got along with, a father-in-law who always tried to see the positive side of everything, and two brothers who I had watched grow from the time they were 6 and 10. Even with all this, something still seemed to be missing.
You see, Derek's dad had passed away when Derek was 8 years old. Through the years, Derek lost touch with that side of his family. I had never really thought about it until I started thinking down the line. A time would come when Derek and I would start our family. What would the last name Johnson mean to our children if we couldn't tell them much about that part of their family? I knew, deep down inside, that I had to reach out to them. I also knew that getting Derek's blessing to do so was just as important. I asked, he said yes, and my mission began.
I wrote a letter to Grandma and Grandpa Johnson. I introduced myself, told them all about my family, and told them what an amazing relationship Derek and I had. I told them how important family was to me and I wanted my children to feel the same. I told them that there was no better time to be part of their grandson's life again. If they were willing, I would love to speak to them. I included our address, email addresses, and phone numbers, and sent off the letter knowing that I may not get a response. At least I had reached out and invited them to share our life.
Barely a week had gone by when I received an email from a Bob Johnson. I'm not going to lie, I was nervous. I had no idea what it was going to say. I opened it and as I read what he had written my eyes filled with tears. Grandpa and Grandma Johnson were so happy to have received a letter from me.He said it was nice to know his grandson was doing good. He said it was great to know that they'd be gaining a granddaughter who cared so deeply about their first grandson. He thanked me and said that they'd love to meet me one day. I told Derek about the email I had received from his grandpa. I was happy that it was a step in the right direction. Soon after, I spoke to Derek's grandparents on the phone. Shortly after that I received an email from his aunt. My hope of getting to know the Johnson's was happening. Between this and our wedding date getting closer...life was good.
Our rehearsal dinner was like a small wedding. There were about 80 or so people there at least. Derek and I were greeting and talking to everyone. At one point I turned and looked at the entry door and there were 5 people walking in who I didn't recognize. I knew exactly who they were. The nose gave it away. Derek's grandparents, his aunt Kathy, and his two cousins had traveled from New Mexico and Colorado to be at our wedding. I walked up to them and his grandma immediately embraced me. We cried.

December 31, 2004...The day I finally got to meet the Johnsons.

“We cannot destroy kindred: our chains stretch a little sometimes, but they never break.”
- Marquise de Sévigné

  
 


No comments:

Post a Comment